Vacuum Tube Microphone Preamp
The PowerTube is a class-A vacuum tube microphone preamplifier that captures the essence of the original sound source while imparting the rich harmonics, warmth, and character of a transformer-coupled tube circuit.
- High voltage 12AX7 tube drive with 60dB of gain
- Smooth sounding Jensen transformer input
- Hand selected 100% discrete class-A electronics
- Tube circuitry provides vintage warmth and character
Vintage tube tone in a modern preamp
The PowerTube leverages the warmth and tone of a 12AX7 vacuum tube using an innovative non-radiating charge pump that supplies 140 volts to the tube to deliver the excitement and character of a high-voltage vintage tube amplifier. This feeds a class-A balanced output stage that together, can produce as much as 60dB of gain, making the PowerTube ideal for use with all microphones. For even more character, activating the Air switch adds a slight edge to a vocal track or sparkle on acoustic guitar, while low frequency resonance is easily tamed using the high-pass filter.
- PowerTube for studio vocals (in cube)
- The PowerTube is the ultimate front end for your finest studio microphone. The Jensen transformer-coupled front end quietly delivers the full spectrum of the source into the class-A tube drive circuit for spectacular results.
- Live recording (in workhorse w/o mixer)
- The single wide design and innovative powering scheme allows you to use eight PowerTubes in the Workhorse without sacrificing dynamic range. This makes it perfect for the most demanding live music recording sessions.
- PowerTube on bass (in powerstrip)
- Nothing sounds bigger and warmer than a tube! Connect your bass to the Omniport instrument input on the Workhorse, Cube or PowerStrip. Feed the PowerTube into a Komit compressor for dynamic control and then a JDX amp & speaker simulator to capture the sound of a 4x12 half stack.
The PowerTube is a microphone amplifier that takes on a traditional ‘vintage’ approach to generating gain. In other words, instead of using the latest technology, it goes back to the glory days of analog audio by employing a transformer coupled input, high voltage tube gain stage and class-A output. And although one can find mic preamps that ‘out-spec’ the PowerTube, there is no denying – once you give it a listen, you will find that it sounds spectacular.
- Audio circuit type: 100% discrete class A with 12AX7 tube drive
- Transformer: Jensen JT-115KE
- Frequency response: 20Hz ~ 20KHz +0/-1dB
- Dynamic range: >93dB
- Gain: +75dB when used with Workhorse*
- Total harmonic distortion: 0.05%
- Intermodulation Distortion: 0.011%
- Input Impedance: 900Ω
- Output Impedance: 200Ω
- Common Mode Rejection Ratio: >84dB
- Equivalent Input Noise: -128dBu @ maximum gain
- Maximum Output: +22dBu
- Data Compression: 235mA
- 180° polarity reverse, Ground lift, HPF, Level Control, Phantom Power, OmniPort
- Input Connectors: XLR
- Output Connectors: XLR
- Weight: 1.5lbs (0.7Kg)
- Shipping size (L x W x D): 9 x 6.5 x 2 (inches)
- Conditions: For use in dry locations only between 5°C and 40°C
- Warranty: Radial 3-year, transferable
Cancer and Reproductive Harm www.P65Warnings.ca.gov