The PowerPre is a high performance microphone preamplifier designed for use with any 500 series modular rack, featuring 100% discrete components for optimal signal transfer and a Hammond output transformer for a smooth and warm tone.
- Hand selected 100% discrete electronics
- Hammond broadcast transformer output
- AccuState low-noise input circuit
- 3-position Vox control for added air or punch
Quiet operation with added character
The PowerPre is designed for clean low-noise operation, with an AccuState input stage what automatically optimizes signal-to-noise at all levels with up to 55dB of gain available. A Hammond broadcast transformer on the output provides vintage warmth and a classic smooth tone, and a Vox switch allows you to add extra character to the signal: The Breath setting adds high frequency air that can accentuate a vocal track or add harmonic content to an acoustic guitar, while the Punch setting adds body when recording electric guitar or it can be used to fatten up bass tracks.
- The Basic Setup
- The PowerPre fits any 500 series rack. In its most basic setup, you connect a mic to the PowerPre and send the XLR out to the recording system. Single dial control makes recording easy and efficient.
- The Mic Channel
- Use the PowerPre as the front end to drive an EQ and compressor to create the ultimate channel strip. Simple cascade one module into the next and send the final output to your recorder.
- Tracking Instruments
- The PowerPre is not just for mics! If you have a Workhorse, you can also use it as the front end when recording instruments or tracking a bass direct. Simply plug into the Omniport and you are set to go.
The PowerPre has been optimized for sonic character while still delivering exceptional specifications. With 55dB of pure gain, yet measuring less than -122dBu of noise and greater than 97dB of dynamic handling, the PowerPre is more than capable of handling just about any microphone or source. During listening tests, the sound proves to be remarkably smooth yet astonishingly quiet. This is attributed to attention detail with respect to grounding and part placement along with use of the discrete electronics and the Hammond output transformer. The Vox control adds yet another dimension by introducing two carefully sculpted curves that will enhance and flatter most microphones.
- Audio circuit type: 100% discrete, transformer coupled output
- Frequency response: 20Hz ~ 20KHz +0/-1dB
- Dynamic range: >97dB
- Gain: +55dB
- Total harmonic distortion: 0.03% @ mid gain with +10dBu output
- Intermodulation Distortion: 0.012% @ 50dB gain with +10dBu output
- Input Impedance: 2.2kΩ (1.5kΩ with pad)
- Output Impedance: 75Ω @ 1kHz
- Common Mode Rejection Ratio: >75dB
- Equivalent Input Noise: -122dBu @ maximum gain
- Maximum Input: +70dB when used with Workhorse*
- Maximum Output: +22dBu
- Maximum Power Rating: 130mA (maximum draw)
- Input pad, 180° polarity reverse, Ground lift, HPF, Phantom Power
- Input Connectors: XLR
- Output Connectors: XLR
- Weight: 1.5lbs (0.7Kg)
- Shipping size (L x W x D): 9 x 6.5 x 2 (inches)
- Conditions: For use in dry locations only between 5°C and 40°C
- Warranty: Radial 3-year, transferable
Cancer and Reproductive Harm www.P65Warnings.ca.gov