DP2 Dual Class-A Preamp
DP2 is a unique hybrid design including both vintage and modern circuits built around two SP501 modules.
The input stage is built around a high quality Swedish Lundahl transformer and a hi-gain input stage followed by a selectable germanium circuit that adds more harmonics. Two different output stages can be selected – either an electronically balanced stage, or a discrete Carnhill transformer-balanced class-A stage. The vintage class-A mode produces a fat and punchy sound with mid-range character and a warm top end, while the electronically balanced output stage is less colored and perfect for clean amplification.
With up to 80 dB gain the DP-2 can handle quiet sound sources like ribbon microphones. High impedance inputs are positioned on the front for easy access when connecting guitar, bass or synthesizers. It’s also possible to crank up the input gain really loud and run a hot signal through the preamp to make it distort, and then use the output volume control to lower the output level. DP2 offers a unique set of flavors at a very sensible price.
- Lundahl-input transformer and Carnhill output transformer
- Selectable output stages, transformer balanced class-A or electronically balanced
- Selectable germanium circuit for extra harmonics
- Sweepable High Pass filter, 30Hz-400Hz, 12dB/oct
- High gain (up to 80dB)
- Hi-Z instrument input (2Mohm)
- Gain switch in 5dB steps. -25 to 80dB. +5dB to -50 with pad -30dB pad
- 48v phantom power
- Selectable output stage: vintage transformer balanced class-A or electronically balanced
- Germanium drive: inserts a germanium gain stage after the input stage
- Sweepable high pass filter, 30-400Hz, 12dB sloop
- Polarity switch
- Impedance switch: 1600ohm/400ohm
- Hi-Z input, instrument input with more than 2Mohm input impedance
- Output level control
- Illuminated switches, except for the phantom toggle switch
- Regulated, internal power supply with a toroidal transformer
- Selectable between 115 and 230V