Digital Control for Analogue Souls
The AWS (Analogue Workstation System) reinvented the professional production console by combining classic SSL SuperAnalogue™ console technology with comprehensive DAW control hardware in a single work surface. The AWS is now used by leading international recording artists, producers and engineers and has shaped expectations for session workflow within today's and indeed tomorrows' production environments.
Designed for mid-scale commercial recording and production facilities
AWS is available with 16 inputs (AWS 916), 24 inputs (AWS 924) or 48 inputs (AWS 948) within a compact 24 fader frame. The AWS 916 has 16 mic pre's, the AWS 924 and 948 have 24 mic pre's. The AWS 916 & 924 have mono channel strips and the 948 has stereo/dual mono channel strips that offer a second line level input per channel to provide 48 summing channels.
All models deliver pristine SuperAnalogue™ summing, 24 ultra-clean SSL SuperAnalogue mic pre's, classic SSL dual curve EQ on every channel, two assignable SSL Dynamics channels, legendary Stereo Bus Compressor, TotalRecall™ and full 5.1 monitoring. In addition to on board classic SSL Automation, all models feature the new d-Ctrl system.
The AWS also features Ethernet connectivity for streamlined hardware control over your entire Digital Audio Workstation environment. AWS delivers elegant, ergonomic physical control with dedicated heavy duty DAW transport, V-Pot multifunction encoders with position indicating LED's, Digital Scribble Strips, DAW fader mode, global and channel routing control and built-in TFT display for advanced plug-in editing. Project Session Management is kept simple through SSL's proprietary Logictivity interface.
The AWS is an SSL SuperAnalogue™ console. Exceptionally low THD, noise floor & crosstalk levels keep your audio absolutely pristine, while our legendary headroom carries every nuance of your audio and allows engineers to mix 'hotter' without distortion.
δelta-Control Plug-ins for AWS
The δelta-Control (δ-Ctrl) Single Fader Plug-in is a native AAX/AU/VST/VST3 plug-in that allows automation of AWS channel and mix bus volume as if it were a DAW plug-in. Inserting 24 instances into the DAW session will allow control of volumes and cuts for all 24 AWS channels. The automation system in the DAW is used to record and playback AWS volume control data entered either directly from the console faders or from the fader in the plug-in GUI..
The δelta-Control 24 Channel Plug-in brings compatibility to Logic users whilst also offering alternative workflow options to users of other DAWs. From one plug-in GUI, all AWS channel features can be automated including: Fader levels, Cuts and Insert Points for both channel and monitor paths (Absolute and Trim) In addition to this EQ, Cue, and FX switches for every channel can also be automated.
Industry Leading DAW control
While the AWS offers a powerful large format analogue console feature set within a compact console design, it also goes further than any other analogue console by integrating seamlessly into a DAW-based facility by incorporating hands-on control of important recording, routing, mixing, and editing functions in all major DAW applications including Pro Tools®, Logic Audio®, Nuendo®, Sonar® and many others.
- Stereo Bus Compressor - The AWS master section stereo compressor is based on the legendary G Series bus comp and can be assigned to either the REC or MIX stereo busses. Activated, the AWS Stereo Bus Compressor instantly adds cohesion and strength to your mix without compromising clarity, bringing the classic SSL "audio glue" to your mix with spectacular SuperAnalogue audio performance. Combined with improved input and output circuitry, this improved unit provides superb audio performance, while retaining the dynamics characteristics that have provided numerous hit mixes for the world's best audio engineers.
- Dynamics Processing - Two classic SSL Channel Dynamics processing strips with separate Compressor and Gate/Expander sections can be assigned to any channel. The assignable Channel Dynamics section features SSL's standard RMS compressor, switchable to Peak sensing, with hard knee characteristic via the "PK" button. There are separate controls for the Expander/Gate section encompassing range, threshold, release and hold. Expansion is selected via the "EXP" switch. Each processing strip includes dedicated metering, fast attack buttons & dedicated key input.
- Communications - The AWS features comprehensive talkback routing with dedicated independent communication buttons for independent foldback sends. A full compliment of GPIO connection, SLATE, the famous LMC input, and RED light activation are all standard on the AWS.
- Monitoring & Metering - The AWS offers a new level of sophistication when working with control room monitoring. The centre section affords total control over two independent 5.1 main loudspeaker outputs plus two stereo "mini" LS outputs, and a dedicated Headphone Out. Comprehensive Bass management is also included. A highly flexible external source selector section can sum, assign and route up to four 5.1 sources, and four stereo input sources to either the control room, studio loudspeaker and headphone foldback feeds. A six channel wide monitor insert point and a separate six channel external meter output allow full interfacing with additional third party monitoring systems and 5.1 surround encoder/decoder combos. There is a dedicated Stereo VU meter for the MIX, REC, Monitor and Solo busses, a VU Phase meter, 5.1 monitor metering, 8 individual Track Bus meters and all Cue and FX send level indication. Each channel sports a dual 12-segment meter which allows DAW Stereo track monitoring. Other features in the AWS include AUTOCUE functionality, MONITOR VOLUME POT CALIBRATION, SOLO ISOLATE, the ability to control two DAW's simultaneously, and the addition of SOFT BOOT power cycling. Above all, latency free punch in record monitoring is standard, this is analogue!
- TotalRecall - TotalRecall is SSL patented technology that aides the saving and recalling of analogue console control settings for a specific Project or Session. The system takes a snapshot of current console settings and saves it via the SSL Logictivity Browser. On the AWS a graphical representation of this information can then displayed on the Centre Section TFT display to enable the operator to manually reset the controls. The AWS includes the timesaving "TR Autoscan" feature which draws the operators attention to only those Channels that need adjustment.
- Summing Bus Injects for the CUE and FX busses - To accommodate modern production methods the AWS consoles now feature an independent Summing Input which allows additional Tracks from the DAW access to the Cue and FX send busses, therefore allowing those DAW tracks access to hardware outboard units and the creation of dedicated Cue mixes form the DAW.