Studio Tube Distortion
The Radial Space Heater 500 is a studio-grade tube distortion for the 500 series format, built to provide anything from subtle warmth to thick and heavy harmonic distortion.
- Studio grade 12AX7 tube distortion
- Heat switch adjusts voltage applied to the tube
- Variable high-cut and low-cut filters to focus distortion
- Transformer coupled output for vintage tone
Warm up your digital tracks
The Space Heater 500 is an analog tube saturation and distortion module for use with the Radial Workhorse or any 500 series rack, with an oversized output transformer and vacuum tube drive circuit for vintage warmth and character. A three-position heat switch provides the ability to adjust the voltage on the 12AX7 tube - lower voltage settings starve the tube for a more pronounced distortion effect. Separate Drive and Level controls give you complete control over the tube circuit, providing a range of tones that allow you to fatten up digital stems or provide a distorted effect on vocals, guitars or drums. The Space Heater 500 also features sweepable high-pass and low-pass filters that can be assigned 'pre or post' tube, allowing you to focus the tube effect on a particular frequency band or cause the tube to react in a different way.
Space Heater 500 Applications
- DI Bass recording
- Adding some distortion to a direct bass recording can make it sound like an amp in the mix. Experiment with the level and drive controls to take a clean bass into SVT territory!
- Harmonic distortion while tracking
- Placing the Space Heater in line with your mic preamp allows you to record the luscious harmonic distortion while tracking. Add it to the channel strip of your choice to expand the sonic possiblities.
- Apply analog distortion to digital effects
- Adding distortion to the output of a digital delay or reverb can mimic your favourite vintage analog effects. Don't be afraid to turn it up! Distortion can differentiate the effected sound from the direct, allowing it to really jump out of the mix!
The Space Heater 500 is a device that is designed to add color and distortion to the signal path. Specifications such as distortion, noise or phase shift simply do not apply. One must read the specifications with an eye towards ‘the type of distortion’ that is being generated and there is no better indicator than the even-order harmonic distortion that is evident when looking at the FFT (Fast Fourier Transform) where a near-perfect cascade flows. Even-order harmonic distortion is both pleasing to the ear and when applied in moderation, can truly enhance tracks without interfering.
- Audio circuit type: Thermionic Gain stage with solid state input and output buffers
- Frequency response: 20Hz - 20KHz ± 1dB
- Dynamic range: 92dB
- Gain: 32dB@140V, 27dB @70V, 13dB @35V
- Clip Level: +22dBu
- Total harmonic distortion: Varies with Drive and Level settings
- Intermodulation Distortion: Varies with drive and level settings
- Input Impedance: 1M
- Output Impedance: 100Ω
- Common Mode Rejection Ratio: -60dB
- Equivalent Input Noise: -102dBu
- Noise: -70dBu
- Maximum Input: +20dBu
- HPF, LPF, OmniPort, EQ Control
- Input Connectors: XLR
- Output Connectors: XLR
- Extras: OmniPort unbalanced instrument input
- Construction: 500 Series module
- Size (L x W x D): 5.3" x 1.6" x 6.7" (134mm x 40mm x 170mm)
- Weight: 1.55lb
- Shipping size (L x W x D): 6.7" x 1.9" x 9.1" ( 170mm x 48mm x 231mm)
- Shipping weight: 2lb
- Conditions: For use in dry locations only between 5°C and 40°C
- Warranty: Radial 3-year, transferable
Cancer and Reproductive Harm www.P65Warnings.ca.gov