The Phoenix Audio DRS-EQ/500 is a mono 4 band EQ for the API 500 series, it was designed to be identical in terms of features and sonics as the other Phoenix products in our range, and the EQ circuit is found in the DRSQ4M mk2 but in a new exciting format.The Gyrator EQ circuit was designed around 40 years ago and was originally designed to emulate the characteristics of a coil or inductor EQ circuit without the issues that they can cause, the result is that our EQ circuit found in the DRSQ4M mk2 is a very powerful but musical EQ perfect for sculpting or crafting vocals, drums or instruments etc whilst still being able to be used on mix bus duties.
The unit runs at 24v thanks due to the special power supply built into the unit so it offers no sonic sacrifices whilst still maintaining a very low current use needed for the API format and is well within its API VPR limits and has been approved by API.
- Class A (DSOP-2) Output specs. Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz +- 0.5dB
- Maximum Output Level: +26dBu @ 1kHz
- Noise: -90dB @ 20Hz to 20kHz.
- Phoenix Audio’s unique Class A, buffer DSblip stage.
- Input level range: -10dBu to +10dBu
- Self-contained on-board “boost” PSU.
- Gain Meter: LED Metering. (Green = -2dB, +4dbu & +10dbu Yellow = +13dB, Red = +16dbu.
- High Pass Filter: Roll-off starts at 80Hz @ 12dB per Octave.
- Gyratory-based EQ Frequency Centres: (4 Bands) High – 15K, 10K, Hi Mid – 6K, 3K, 1K6, Low Mid – 800Hz, 400Hz, 200Hz, Low – 130Hz, 80Hz, 40Hz
- EQ Cut/Boost Levels: 16dB Cut/Boost Per Band, all EQ bands are stepped/detented to 21 positions for easy recall & stereo operations for mastering or the mix bus.
- DRS-EQ/500 has an overall output level with 15db of additional gain even when the EQ is in bypass, allows the output fader to be used to drive the output stage & transformer to colour & saturate your sound, again even when the EQ is in bypass.
This eq is very nice. Like other Phoenix Audio products, it
has a color knob at the bottom, where you can dial in just how much you want. I have clean eqs for that job, but this is a workhorse of a different color.
Yes, I'd buy it again. I'd buy it from Lunchbox Audio, because they treated me very well. Product was promptly delivered and was as I expected it to be.