Character is a plug-in that lets you add the luscious distortion characteristics of classic analog circuits to your source tracks. To create Character we asked top flight tracking, mixing and mastering engineers to send us their favorite analog hardware; the mic pres, DIs and EQs that they used for recording, mixing and mastering. We then used SpectraFoo to measure the ways that these processors add lovely, gooey analog distortion to the sound run through them and modeled this distortion using our proprietary +DSP technology.
Character provides over 20 different models, incorporating the sound of tubes, transformers and solid state devices. Character has a Drive control (and autodrive) to allow you to push the distortion even harder for over-the-top sound mangling.
- Provides 20 different Character Models
- Oversampled and antialiased for analog euphonic distortion
- Manual Drive control - to set how hard you hit the distortion
- Autodrive - to enable consistent distortion for all signal levels
- Output Gain - to level match
- Adjustable UI size
- MH Preset Manager - Provides cross-platform presets
- Mac: Mac OS X 10.6.8 or newer. Intel Processor. AU, VST, or AAX (Pro Tools 10 & 11) host. 32 & 64 bit. Native & DSP.
- Windows: Windows 7 or newer. Intel Processor. VST or AAX (Pro Tools 10 & 11) host. 32 & 64 bit. Native & DSP.
- iLok.com account.
- iLok dongle is optional — you may install the license on iLok for portability.
- Only one license required – works on all supported platforms.
If you don't want to spend the money on things like HEAT or Phoenix, this is a great option for various shades of mojo. To me it sounds best in the more conservative positions. Most overdriven settings sound a bit fake to me, but some are OK. At the sale price, this was an excellent bargain, and works as AAX DSP to boot. I'd give 5 stars if more overdriven tones sounded more convincing, but that's just my taste. YMMV.