The Bottle Caps are Blue's innovative system of nine interchangeable capsules, each offering the recordist a different tonal characteristic and pickup pattern. From airy highs to larger-than-life lows, the Bottle Caps capture anything from vocals to bass, wind instruments to horns — and everything in between with a level of detail and clarity found in only the most expensive and rare vintage classics. The Bottle Caps work with Blue's Bottle, Bottle Rocket Stage Two, and Bottle Rocket Stage One mics, or any microphone with a foundation for interchangable capsules. Each capsule in the series is numbered from B0 to B8, and each has their own unique sound. You can explore any of them by clicking on the numbered capsule links above.
B0: Cardioid Large Diaphragm (ELA M 251 Reference)
- The ultimate big vocal sound
- Superior bright, silky, and intimate presence
- Suggested Applications: Background and lead vocals, guitar, mandolin, percussion; any source where extended top end is featured
B1: Cardioid Small Diaphragm (Schoeps 221B Reference)
- The accuracy plus capsule
- Sonic accuracy with extended high frequency response
- Suggested Applications: Nylon or steel-string acoustic guitar, accordion, drum overheads, metal percussion, hi-hat, small pitched percussion such as toy piano or marimba, room or ambient miking, foley and sound effect recording, strings and orchestral recording.
B2: Figure of Eight Large Diaphragm (RCA 44 Reference)
- The vintage capsule
- Big, warm sound of vintage ribbon mic
- Suggested Applications: Emulation of vintage saxophone, brass, guitar, or vocal sounds, jazz ensembles and horn sections, muted trumpet, flugelhorn and other low brass instruments, clarinet, overly bright or “edgy” instruments, room miking, acoustic bass, cello and other bowed string instruments, electric bass, clean or distorted electric guitar, pedal steel and slide guitar, whistling, organ.
B3: Cardioid Mid-Sized Diaphragm (Neumann TLM170 Reference)
- The neutral capsule
- Very transparent, neutral sound
- Suggested Applications: Female vocals, distant miking of orchestral groups and instruments, banjo, mandolin, resonator guitar, jazz guitar, distorted electric guitar, electric bass, a natural or “folky” tone on nylon and steel-string acoustic guitar, oboe, bassoon and other double reeds, organ.
B4: Small Diaphragm Sphere Pressure Omni (Neumann M50 Reference)
- The big omni
- Sweet highs, robust lows, unique design and sound perfect for ambient recording
- Suggested Applications: Orchestral sounds, classical instrumentation, background vocals, organ, accordion, distant miking of any source, particularly bowed strings, and drums.
B5: Large Diaphragm Pressure Omni (Neumann M55K Reference)
- The presence omni
- Very unique compressed quality, extremely accentuated low and high frequency response
- Suggested Applications: Acoustic guitar, percussion, any highly transient sources, any acoustic sources that need very close miking or extra presence boosting to cut through a dense mix.
B6: Cardioid Large Diaphragm Dual Backplate (AKG C12 Reference)
- The blue standard / modern presence vocal sound
- “Larger than life” sound — enhanced lows and high frequency presence
- Suggested Applications: Lead vocals, background vocals, voiceovers, percussion, piano, vibraphone, accordion, clean electric guitar, jazz guitar, and distant miking of acoustic or resonator guitar.
B7: Cardioid Large Diaphragm Single Backplate (Neumann U47 Reference)
- The classic vocal sound
- Classic vintage detailed mids with airy presence
- Suggested Applications: Lead vocals, background vocals, saxophone, flugelhorn, clean or distorted electric guitar, pedal steel and slide guitar, organ, conventional jazz recording.
B8: Large Diaphragm Cardioid Condenser (General Purpose Capsule)
- The versatile capsule
- The best choice if only using one capsule - crystal clear sound quality and excellent detail for a wide range of recording applications
- Suggested applications: Male & female lead vocals, electric & acoustic guitars, drums, drum overheads, percussion, piano, horns and strings.
B9: Cardioid Large Diaphragm Dual Backplate (The Mix Forward Capsule)
- Sonic Character: Commanding performances that sit in front of the mix
- Suggested Applications: Perfect for recording vocals and acoustic guitar that sit in front of the mix
- Inspiration: A new sound all its own, the B9 features a shimmering high-end, smooth midrange and intimate presence that delivers commanding vocal and acoustic guitar performances that sit in front of the mix.
B10: Cardioid Large Diaphragm Dual Backplate (Smooth Vocal Sound)
- Sonic Character: Smooth, yet full sound with silky highs and a defined low end.
- Suggested Applications: Perfect for female vocals, saxophone, violin and other higher frequency instruments.
- Inspiration: Extending the Bottle Cap series, the B10 features smooth, yet full sound with silky highs and a defined low end that is great for difficult to tame sound sources.
B11: Cardioid Large Diaphragm Dual Backplate (The Iconic Capsule)
- Sonic Character: Round, classic sound with a rich, vintage mid-range.
- Suggested Applications: Perfect for capturing vocals and instruments with vibe and character.
- Inspiration: Custom made for the Bottle, the B11 flatters vocals and instruments with a round, classic sound and a rich, vintage mid-range, perfect for capturing vocals and instruments with vibe and character.
Need a custom kit?: