KU5A MICROPHONE OVERVIEW
- Supercardioid polar pattern that rejects room tone and instrument bleed
- Detailed, extended top end with ribbon smoothness and warmth
- Supreme durability for close-range, outdoor, and live use
- Active electronics and custom transformer optimized for all preamps
- Front address design with built-in yoke is simple to position
- Integrated high-pass filter switch reduces proximity effect at close-range
- Matte black finish is discreet on camera
- Made in the U.S.A.
THE RIBBON FOR ANY ROOM
The supercardioid KU5A breaks new ground in ribbon technology with its acutely focused directionality that rejects bleed from other instruments, room reflections, and loud ambience in the studio and on stage.
Never before has a ribbon mic delivered as much clarity and breadth of sound in a package so fit for both studio and live use. As a near-field ribbon designed for close range recording, the KU5A delivers the low-end heft and pronounced midrange one expects of AEA ribbons and with moderate, manageable proximity effect. Vocalists can sing directly into the grill of the KU5A, as its interior components are the most protected of any in the AEA lineup.
The KU5A is equipped with active electronics, fit for any preamp in the studio and on the road, as well as an integrated high-pass filter to roll off low end in close range recording applications.
THE SUPERCARDIOID RIBBON
The KU5A’s supercardioid polar pattern captures pure, direct sound while rejecting room tone from behind the mic. This feature prevents excessive monitor and audience bleed when tracking musicians live in one room or on stage. Traditional figure-of-8 ribbons, which distinctly incorporate both direct sound and room sound, rely on sharp nulls to reject unwanted bleed.
The KU5A’s end-address directionality and tight supercardioid pattern allow for effortless positioning on snare, toms, and other instruments that may be difficult to access. Signal bleed captured by dynamic mics and condensers often sounds harsh and brittle due to top-end frequencies. The minimal bleed captured by the KU5A sounds more natural as a result of its smooth top end and coheres well in a mix.
If you are fond of ribbon tonality and want to capture the direct sound of your instrument without room reflections and bleed, the KU5A is a perfect choice. Its smooth ribbon midrange softens the sibilance that a condenser often accentuates, and its extended top end mitigates the need to blend it with other microphones for more bite.
- Sources within 3 inches of the KU5A will benefit from the warm tonality of its proximity effect, and the mic can handle 141+ dB SPL at 1kHz. High volume sources will not damage the KU5A’s interior components, so the mic can be positioned just inches from a guitar or bass amp. However strong bursts of air may damage the ribbon, so exercise caution when positioning it in front of a kick drum. Air bursts produced from vocalists will not damage the KU5A ribbon, as it is the most protected of any mic in the AEA lineup.
The KU5A has an integrated electronic high-pass filter that can be engaged with an external pushbutton switch. This filter smoothly rolls off low-end with a 6db/octave shelf at 283 Hz. The switch activates the KU5A’s near-field mode for optimal close-range performance. This high-pass filter was designed specifically for singers who use the KU5A on the road and in the studio, and allows its user to position the mic right up against the source without experiencing overwhelming proximity effect.
Touring bands rely on the durability and low-profile of the KU5A for sound reinforcement at live shows. At outdoor festivals and indoor theaters alike, the KU5A is perfectly equipped to bring studio sound to the live stage. Its integrated windscreen protection prevents interference at windy venues and its active electronics allow for flexibility with virtually any mixing board or audio interface.